I guess the circumstances just hadn’t been right for me to
see it. Until now. Surveying the wreckage he had created in just a few moments,
the stories my friends had told me about Joey had new meaning.
Joey and I had met at Starbucks, just a random thing. The
Fender T-shirt caught my eye, and we got talking about music and our favorite
bands. Turned out he fronted his own band with guitar and vocals. He told
stories in such a funny way, mimicking different voices. If anyone enjoyed
life, I guessed it was Joey.
I was there a week later with a couple of girlfriends, and
in walked Joey. We said hi and talked for a few minutes. Sarah was giving me
strange looks, so when Joey left I wanted to know why.
“You do know who that is, don’t you?”
“Yeah, it’s Joey. Seems like a nice guy.”
“Well, you just watch yourself. There’s more than one Joey.”
What was that supposed to mean? Sure, Sarah was into the
local music scene, but that didn’t make her an authority. I frowned at her then
glanced at Maggie, who was nodding her head.
“Tell me more.”
So they did. These two had heard stories about Joey’s antics
on stage with his band. Not anything they had seen themselves, but their
sources swore it had happened. My gut felt weird and my skin felt prickly as
they talked. Still, it just didn’t jibe with the guy I’d been talking to.
I saw Joey at Starbucks a few more times after that, almost
a regular thing. He was always in a good mood and kept me laughing with his
stories. The last time we met up there, he invited me to come see his band.
Said it was a gig in a larger club than they usually played. If I went, I could
watch them play from off-stage. Sounded like fun.
The night of the gig, I got to the club early and went in
through a side door as Joey had said to. When I found him backstage, I hardly
recognized him. He didn’t look like the typical Starbucks customer with all
that makeup. That moody attitude was different, too. Maybe it was just nerves.
No, it was more than that. When they were into the third
song of their set, something went wrong. I never figured out what it was, but Joey
just went over the edge. Without warning he swept off his guitar, smashed it on
the stage, then went after all the other equipment. Amps kicked over, cymbals
flying, enough mayhem to make Pete Townshend proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment