(Prompt from The Write Practice: writing about life & death)
Our new puppy jumped over Belle's back, then crowded up close to the old dog's snout. Griffin's butt was up in the air, tail wagging. He yipped at Belle, then hopped back, anticipating a response. With a soft, low growl, Belle lifted her head a couple of inches off the floor, then turned toward me as she settled back down. It looked like pleading.
Griffin yipped and crawled towards Belle again. "C'mere, Griff", I said, and he hopped up on the couch and into my lap. "Give the girl a break." He whipped around and licked my face.
Belle was the most patient dog we'd ever had. And still was, but at 15 and with the pain she seemed to have all the time, her threshold was lower than when she was young. Now she sighed and curled up a little, facing away from Griffin and me.
The pup took that as a challenge and coiled up to pounce. I held him back and rubbed behind his ears. "Enough, Griff!" I glanced at the clock, and blinked away the tear that was forming. Griffin was squirming to get out of my grasp, a fawn-colored bundle of energy.
I carried him into the next room and locked him in his crate. "You can chill out in here for a while, pal", I said. Amid yips of protest I walked back to Belle and sat on the floor next to her. I stroked her back, avoiding the lump that seemed even bigger today. Her black fur was just the right length and had always felt so good to me. She sighed again and nuzzled up close.
I checked my watch, then reached for the tissue box as more tears flowed. Sniffling, I said to her, "We had some great times, didn't we?" Griffin's yelps were getting louder and were accompanied by scratching now.
Feeling a tiny surge of strength inside me, I said, "Okay, girl, let's go for a drive." At the word "drive", Belle struggled to her feet and headed for the door, tail wagging. She'd always loved going anywhere in the truck. Still holding the tissue box, I picked up my keys and followed her into the garage.
I lifted Belle onto the front seat and got her settled. We backed out of the driveway then drove up to 21st Street, turning right towards the vet's office.
No comments:
Post a Comment